Estes Park is known for glorious sunshine and beautiful weather in the summer. But we do get regular mountain showers and those can put a damper on your outdoor fun. So, we thought we would give you some ideas for rainy day activities if you find yourself here on a wet day.
- We love Reel Mountain on rainy days! They are a small, locally owned theatre that has showings on just three screens. They almost always have one kid-friendly movie, which we really appreciate. And here’s the best part, they use real butter on their popcorn! Stop in to see a show and chances are when you leave the sun will be shining again.
- Estes Valley Library is the best! We take our kids there for story time on Thursday or Friday mornings and afterward let them play with the train table in the children’s area. They even have toy bags that you can check out for a week. This could come in really handy if you’ve exhausted the few toys you were able to bring along in your suitcase or RV.
- Want a Colorado climbing experience in spite of the weather? Visit Estes Park Mountain Shop, our favorite spot for indoor rock climbing. You’ll find 4,500 square feet of climbing terrain with routes from beginner to expert. The staff is always friendly and helpful. And we’ve found that this is a great way to spend a rainy afternoon.
- Visit the Baldpate Inn key room for a unique experience. Here you will find the world’s largest collection of keys including keys from Westminster Abby, Mozart’s wine cellar and even Frankenstein’s castle!
- We are super excited about a store that is not yet open but promises to offer great things for the kids! Estes Wild Child will have unique products that engage children in science, nature, art and creative play. They will have a variety of exploration kits that include naturalist activities to investigate Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Opening in July 2017!
- If you have not yet visited our YMCA of the Rockies you must! Situated in one of the most gorgeous spots, they offer a ton of great things for the family. Two of our favorites are skating in their indoor roller rink and making crafts in the craft and design center. But there’s much more than that so be sure you visit and check it out!
- Shopping, of course! In the morning, be sure to go into Inkwell and Brew for a pour over coffee and browse through their beautiful selection of cards, journals, and other paper goods. Next, be sure to visit The Hiking Hut where you will find everything you need for a great outdoor experience in Estes Park. It doesn’t hurt that the owners are super friendly and will give you great advice on gear and trails. Next, be sure to visit Once Upon a Hive, located in Park Place Mall. You will find a unique selection of hand-poured beeswax candles and homemade home goods. And finally, no trip here is complete without taking the “shortest hike in Estes Park.” Be sure to visit The Grey House, located on the second story, just eighteen steps up. We are always adding new items to our selection of men’s and women’s apparel and accessories as well as our baby corner.
The rain here doesn’t last long so take a few of these ideas and you’ll be out in the sunshine again before you know it!